Public Health Dentistry
Public health Dentistry deals with prevention & control of dental diseases & promotion of dental health through organized community efforts. At the conclusion of the course students should have a knowledge of basis of Public health, Preventive dentistry, Public health problems in India . Nutrition, Environment and their role in health, basics of dental statistics, epidemiological methods, National oral health policy with emphasis on oral health.
The following tasks are undertaken in this specialization:
- To identify dental diseases in the community by examining /surveying the people in the community.
- To promote oral health by conducting dental screening and treatment camps as well as dental health education.
- To carry out comprehensive dental care for individual patients referred from the camps in the department.
- Assessing oral health status of various target groups like expectant mothers, handicapped, underprivileged and geriatric populations. Planning dental manpower and financing dental health care for the above group
- Prevention and treatment of dental diseases by utilising the Mobile dental van and the net work of rural dental centres or satellite clinics.
- Planning and conducting school and community dental health programmes to promote oral health with help of various voluntary organizations like Lions/ Rotary/ Rotaract and Indian Dental Association.
- Counselling of patient’s with tobacco habits in the Tobacco Cessation Clinic.
- Developing Dental Health Education Charts, Models in the Dental College Museum. Literatures and Pamphlets related to Dental health to be distributed in the community.